So the long-awaited PHP5 is finally out. I can’t wait to play around with this baby when I find time for it.
Some of the key features of PHP 5 include:
- A better Zend Engine II
- Better XML support focused around the excellent libxml2 library.
- SimpleXML extension for easily accessing and manipulating XML as PHP objects.
- A brand new built-in SOAP extension for interoperability with Web Services.
- SQLite has been bundled with PHP. (After all MySQL sold out and went commercial on them)
- Streams have been greatly improved, including the ability to access low-level socket operations on streams.
Obviously, like all other programming languages, PHP is moving more and more towards the whole web services model and making it easier to use PHP for such stuff.