From the years I’ve spent in the IT services field, I’ve come to the conclusion that the following are the 10 golden rules for this sector:
- It’s always Extra Super Damn Urgent!
- Client deadlines are an illusion. Yours are painful obligations.
- Your one hour meeting scheduled for today will take place 3 weeks later on a weekend and will last all day long. What else do you have to do anyways?
- Final Client Validations are as valid as your wet dreams.
- A year long project starts today, is due next week and you shouldn’t expect any input from the client yet.
- You and your life are included with the sold service. Yes, “slave” is the perfect word.
- No project ever ends. once it begins you’re stuck with it forever and ever and ever and ever…
- No need to estimate how much time you need to finish a project. The client already knows when he wants it.
- Ever heard of that rule “The Client is King”, tattoo it somewhere and be prepared to literally live it every day of your useless life.
- The client knows your work better than you, so just follow the damn orders.
Well, ok, maybe it’s not that bad. It’s actually a lot worse!
God help me please…