Just the other day, I was thinking about how badly designed some newspapers were and how they were unfriendly and unattractive to readers.
The main problems that just shouted out loud at me were the following:
- Too many different fonts, font sizes and font colours.
- Bad organization of content.
- Too many colours that don’t blend well together.
- Bad choice of fonts for article content.
- Bad choice of pictures and picture sizes.
- Information looks too bulky.
I think newspaper design should be given more importance than it already gets.
It would make a really big difference for the people if the experience of reading a newspaper is made easier, friendlier and more attractive to the eye.
For an example of a newspaper re-design, check out what was done with The Jordan Times here.
A before & after is also provided and the difference is great although the old Jordan Times wasn’t that bad compared to other newspapers.