I just found this post about the 2003 Web Design Fashion Trends, and i find it quite interesting.
The trends are as follows:
- The continuing spread of CSS layouts.
- The use of alternate fonts within a limited choice.
- Unordered lists are all the rage.
- Fahrner Image Replacement.
- The comeback of old fashioned fonts.
- The comeback of the background image.
- The humongous page banner.
- The decline of web skinning.
- The cluttered front page.
- Restrained, pale color schemes.
For all the details and explanations of each trend, check the full post: 2003 Web Design Fashion Trends.